The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

Book Recommendations
Book Recommendations
April 25, 2024

Together We Cope

Together We Cope

Together We Cope is a homeless prevention agency in Tinley Park that has serviced the Southwest Suburbs since the early 1980s. In November 2022, catastrophe hit the agency after an electrical fire resulted in massive damage to the building. This fire triggered the emergency sprinkler system and ultimately resulted in thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to the building and the materials inside it.

The community relies on this agency for many services, especially the homeless people in the area. Together We Cope has been bridging the gap for south suburban residents by supplying food, shelter, clothing, groceries, and household goods for decades.

By far the most important service provided is the Together We Cope Food Pantry. The agency offers produce, dairy products, bread, meat and poultry products, as well as nonperishable items. This food pantry is open to anyone who lives in the 27 communities serviced. The residents are able to receive food once a month, while homeless people can receive food once a week. The agency makes sure to have nonperishable items in stock for the homeless population. Together We Cope feeds around 5,000 individuals every month through the food pantry.

Around the holidays, Together We Cope offers a Turkey Drive. They are able to give families Turkeys so they can enjoy Thanksgiving with their loved ones when money can be especially tight. Together We Cope also has a Santa’s Workshop every year, where they give away toys and warm pajamas to children in need. Together We Cope makes every effort to make sure every child feels special around the holidays.

Together We Cope also helps their clients secure much needed clothing through their Resale Shop. They offer clothing vouchers which enable clients to choose whatever clothing they want from the Resale Shop. Together We Cope also provides resources for families in temporary crisis with the rental assistance program which enables the agency to keep families in their homes.

With over 200 volunteers, Together We Cope has been able to help families in 27 communities across the South Suburban area. The agency relies on grants from the Illinois government as well as donations from the Illinois community.  This enables the agency to not only provide everyday services, but also to put on seasonal events such as back to school and various holiday events.

Together We Cope heavily relies on community efforts and donations. If you would like to support your community, you can donate to Together We Cope here.