The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

Book Recommendations
Book Recommendations
April 25, 2024

The Phenomenon of ‘Swelce’

On September 24th, 2023, the world was introduced to Swelce – or, for the uninitiated, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s relationship. Instantly, the pair took the world by storm, which shouldn’t come as a surprise considering their own individual successes. Swift is currently headlining The Eras Tour, a three-hour spectacle journeying through her career, and the Kansas City Chiefs are predicted to play in the upcoming Super Bowl for the second year in a row. Many fans have commented that their relationship is akin to something out of a rom-com or a fanfiction; the idea of a football player romancing a musician is interesting to a lot of the public, and Taylor Swift’s lyric, “I’ll be 87 / You’ll be 89” has been used in many a fan edit in reference to Kelce’s jersey number and Swift’s birth year.

The Chiefs are at the top of their game this year, and if we take a look at Kelce’s stats, it’s pretty clear why. Even before the Swift/Kelce relationship was publicized, he was doing extremely well. For example, at the Chiefs vs Bears game, Kelce made one touchdown and totaled 69 yards. However, this shouldn’t come as a surprise; Kelce has been ranked 5th in the NFL’s Top 100 Players list. He also has been on the All-Pro Team for the two out of the last three years.

Swift’s next football appearance was on October 1st, 2023, but she wasn’t the only celebrity there. Sabrina Carpenter, Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Hugh Jackman, Sophie Turner, Shawn Levy, and Swift’s brother, Austin. Kelce had 9 targets per game, besting his previous targets per game this season. Once again, the Chiefs won.

Once again, Swift came to Arrowhead Stadium to watch Kelce play – the stadium that started it all. On October 12th, 2023, Kelce traveled a total of 67 yards. He had 9 targets per game. However, it was Swift’s most recent appearance on October 22nd that truly cemented the power of Swelce.  His total yards receiving was 12, and he made 13 targets per game, a high for the 2023 season. He totaled 179 yards, the most all season.

After Swelce’s debut, Kelce’s jersey sales rose nearly 400%. Some fan jerseys have been made, including a product currently sold at Dick’s Sporting Goods. The red shirt reads ‘Karma is my Tight End’, a reference to a lyric in Swift’s song, “Karma”. The song has recently become associated with the pair after Swift changed the line ‘karma is the guy on the screen / coming straight home to me’ to ‘karma is the guy on the Chiefs / coming straight home to me’ at a performance in Argentina. As that is the final song, she very publicly kissed Kelce shortly after the show’s end. The game saw a 53% increase in female viewers aged 12 to 17. There was a 34% increase in female viewers above 35, and a 24% increase in female viewers aged 18 to 24.

Although Swift was asked to perform at the Super Bowl this year, she declined; many online fans speculate this is due to her contract with Pepsi while others argue that she doesn’t need the overexposure, referencing Swift’s 1989 era. Swift garners viewers, though, as evidenced by the ratings of the first game she appeared at.

The internet’s new favorite celebrity couple made an appearance on Saturday Night Live on October 15th, 2023. There was a sketch poking fun at the fanaticism regarding the pair, with Kenan Thompson, Molly Kearney, Devon Walker, Mikey Day, and guest host Pete Davidson starring in the sketch. All the characters had a perspective on the relationship, but Pete Davidson’s character mirrored the reaction of the Swifties. He was bedecked in a bedazzled pink Taylor Swift cowboy hat and the friendship bracelets that have been associated with Swift ever since this March, when the Eras tour started. According to Kelce on his podcast, New Heights, these friendship bracelets were how their relationship started. The Swifties have begun to crossover into the football world. I interviewed sophomore Amaya Johnston about the relationship.

Q: Would you consider yourself a Swiftie?

A: yes. The biggest, 100% Swiftie.

Q: What are your thoughts on Swelce?

A: I do think it’s set up for failure, but I do think they’re adorable and I love them. I hope they stay together, but based on past events, I think they won’t.

Q: Have you seen the Eras Tour? If so, did you watch the movie, see it in person, or do both?

A: Yes, in person.
Q: Have you watched last year’s Super Bowl?

A: Yes.

Q: How do you feel about the coverage of Taylor Swift during the football season?

A:  I think it’s a little bit annoying. They’re overusing her, and it almost feels set up, like they’re just trying to bring more attention to sports.

Q: How would you feel if Taylor Swift decided to perform at the Super Bowl?

A: I would be excited, but I feel like she won’t, and I know she’s not going to.

Q: Any last thoughts?

A: Taylor Swift is the best.

However, not everyone is as pleased as Amaya. For example, Giants fans booed at an ad for the filmed version of the Eras Tour when it was played in the stadium. I also interviewed sophomore Sabrina Zinsky about her thoughts on this budding relationship.

A: No, definitely not.

Q: What are your thoughts on Swelce?

A: It’s terrible.

A: No.

A: Yes.

A: It’s annoying. We’re not watching the game for her.

A: I’d be pretty angry.

Q: Any last thoughts?

A: No.

The most recent development in their relationship is that Kelce calls Swift ‘Tay’, a fact he casually dropped in this week’s New Heights podcast. While their relationship may be like “driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street”, as Swift writes in the titular track of her 2012 album, Red, us fans can certainly enjoy the ride.

Sources:

https://www.insider.com/nfl-viewership-boost-taylor-swift-travis-kelce-fans-2023-10

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38496220/taylor-swift-effect-travis-kelce-jersey-sales-spike-nearly-400

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/kc-chiefs-te-travis-kelce-lands-in-top-5-of-2023-nfl-top-100-players-list

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/10/03/giants-fans-boo-taylor-swift-ad-at-metlife-stadium-during-mnf-loss

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/player/travis-kelce-11101/game-log