The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

Book Recommendations
Book Recommendations
April 25, 2024

Winter Treats

Winter+Treats

There’s no denying that when the winter cold sets in, there’s a strong desire for comfort foods. While traditional wintertime snacks tend to be indulgent, there are lots of tasty and healthy options to keep you feeling good all winter long. I created a list of a few of my favorite wintertime sweets that are still delicious and good for the body to keep you going all winter long. These tasty and healthy options can improve your general health in addition to giving you the warm feeling of baked wintertime goods.

1. Pumpkin pie

Pumpkin pie is my favorite fall/ winter dessert. Although it is not the best nutritionally, there’s a few healthier options to make this pie. Instead of brown sugar, unsweetened pure maple syrup gives pumpkin pie its sweet flavor in a healthier way. Also, pumpkin puree is another healthy substitute compared to canned pie filling.

2. Oatmeal cookies

Oatmeal cookies are on the healthier side but there’s even more ways to make them even better for you. Coconut oil is a better substitute of vegetable oil. With oatmeal cookies, it is also possible to remove the sugar and add bananas for sweetness.

3. Mug cake

Mug cakes are a quick and easy dessert for a winter night in. Some ways to make them healthier is to use coconut oil in replace of butter. Almond flour is also another healthy substitute to many ingredients. Lastly, on top of the cake you can add sugar free ice cream to add flavor.