The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

The Winged Messenger

Book Recommendations
Book Recommendations
April 25, 2024

Advice for New Griffins

Advice for New Griffins

The transition between middle school and high school is exciting but can also be overwhelming. After talking with some fellow seniors here are some of the tips, I found most helpful for making the next four years the most enjoyable…

Get involved

Now I’m sure most people have heard this a million times from parents or faculty, but it truly is a wonderful way to make high school so much better. There are tons of activities and clubs at LWE, almost too many to count. Even if you happen to not find a club, you’re interested in at the moment it’s very easy to create your own club like Fempower which was created a few years ago. In order to create one all, you need is a faculty sponsor and to get it approved by the school. Additionally, activities are a great way to make new friends and grow your social circle. Now I am sure a lot of people might be thinking that there’s no need for this since they already have friends but being a part of these clubs gives you a chance to meet and bond with people you might have never talked to in a normal school setting.

Balance

It’s important to take your studies seriously but not at the expense of your health, whether mental or physical. Freshman year classes usually are not too bad, but it can still be an adjustment from middle school. This is a great year to practice mindful habits like making sure to complete your homework and figuring out what helps you learn the best in each of your classes. If you’re ever struggling with classes, there’s lots of resources at school like the writing center that can help with your essay whether it’s just help starting or proofreading. We also have many different opportunities to receive help like the Starr club or Spanish tutoring.

Enjoy yourself

It’s true what they say these 4 years will really be over before you know it so enjoy everything as much as you can. The memories created in high school will last forever so don’t waste it on worrying about things or people that don’t matter.