Hurricane Season

Maya Davis, Staff Reporter

Hurricane season runs from May to November each year and has already caused some detrimental storms that have affected many people’s lives. The first recorded hurricane of the 2021 season was hurricane Elsa, with wind speeds up to 87 mph and damages costing up to $875 million dollars. This hurricane though, was only the beginning of a worsening season, as hurricane Elsa was only considered to be a category 1 storm. NOAA scientists predict that the likelihood of an above-normal 2021 Atlantic hurricane season is 65%. There is a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. We have so far experienced 8 tropical hurricanes: Nicholas, Larry, Ida, Grace, Fred, Elsa, Claudette and Ana. Ida (Tropical Depression 9), so far, has been the worst we have experienced causing mass flooding in Venezuela leading to at least 20 deaths and 1,200 homes being destroyed. Ida formed southwest of Jamaica on August 26 and quickly became the worst hurricane of 2021. After the storm hit Cuba, it moved north across Cuba before entering the Gulf of Mexico. This hurricane will cost the U.S. $95 billion dollars, which is the seventh-costliest disaster since 2000. Ida made landfall near Port Fourchon, Louisiana. Over 1.1million people lost power, some of which still don’t to this day. We should start taking the initiative to listen to warnings early and evacuate when told to. Doing this can help prevent many unnecessary deaths.