Ear Buds or Ear Enemies?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ear Buds or Ear Enemies?

Kellen Tanner, Staff Reporter

If you’re like any other high school student, you love music. In a survey of 20 students, 18/20 said that they listen to music at least an hour a day. 12 out of 18 said that they probably listen to music too loud. Now something like listening to music too loud may not seem like it has a detrimental impact, but if you make it a habit it can really start to do damage. Your ears can handle 85 decibels for 8 hours without harm, but if you turn it up to 100 decibels, after 15 mins, listening becomes unsafe. The problem with this is the max number of decibels produced by apple earbuds is 115 decibels. That’s equivalent to a rock concert happening in your ears! Joey Stein, earbud connoisseur, said, “While I’m at school especially my earbuds are constantly at the highest setting. It’s impossible to hear if they’re not because of the noisy hallway.” The damage will not show immediately but rather over time. At 90 decibels, you can start to see the damage after about two and a half years. Many people don’t do anything to combat this because they can’t notice it happening, but there have been cases of people experiencing hearing loss from Walkman’s in the 80’s and technology has only advanced since then. Here are some tips to try and prematurely prevent this. The first one is to just simply not listen as loudly. The recommended noise level is around 70% and anything higher than that means you should only listen to it for 5 minutes. A second tip is to use volume limit in the settings of your iPhone. In the music tab in your settings there is a tab that says volume control. Click that and turn the max volume to 70%. Finally, if you are listening at a high level because of something like the hallways being too loud then you may want to invest in a pair of noise cancelling earbuds/ headphones so this won’t be a problem. This will obviously cost money but your hearing is priceless!