The Results of Stress on Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Results of Stress on Students

Taylor Mainwaring, Staff Reporter

Students experience a lot of stress at school. Trying to balance homework, studying for tests and quizzes, and outside school activities are very hard on many people. Managing all of this often leads to less sleep at night as well which can cause poor grades and make it hard to focus in class. I interviewed a few of my classmates, and they all said that their anxiety rapidly increases when they even hear the word school, and it’s hard to maintain good grades when they go straight to their after school sports everyday and barely have time for homework. I also heard from a few people that one way to lower their stress levels would be to get less homework every night and get informed about tests and quizzes sooner than just one or two days so they can make time to study. Some healthy ways to deal with stress is to go for a walk, listen to music, exercise, and take a deep breath when feeling stressed. I asked Grace Newton what she does to handle stress since she’s in cross country and track and she said, “before they blow the whistle at a race, I smile for three seconds because it calms me down and makes my nerves go away.” Time management is very important when it comes to school related stress because if you don’t make time for everything you need to get done during the day, you will end up cramming everything at the last moment, and that often leads to mental breakdowns which will make your anxiety much worse. If you know you won’t have enough time to finish all your homework and study for a test or quiz, you should probably not go out and hangout with friends and you should stay in and get your stuff done first. Stress on students is a big topic nowadays and many people experience it, but it can be managed.