Uniform Schools vs. Non-uniform Schools

Tommiya Hollis, Staff Reporter

At most uniform wearing schools, they wish they could have the privilege to express themselves through their clothing, but to us wearing no uniform is a normal thing. From elementary school to high school, we’ve never had to wear a uniform so we can’t really relate to them on a personal level. But their dress policy is currently keeping them safe based off a series of collected data. Uniform schools have a lower crime rate because the intruder could be identified in a uniform school easier than if it was a school where everyone has on regular clothes. The author of procon.org has taken the data of schools in Long Beach, California and wrote, “In Long Beach, CA, after two years of a district-wide K-8 mandatory uniform policy, reports of assault and battery in the district’s schools decreased by 34%, assault with a deadly weapon dropped by 50%, fighting incidents went down by 51%, robbery dropped by 65%, possession of weapons (or weapon “look-alikes”) decreased by 52%, possession of drugs went down by 69%, and vandalism was lowered by 18%.” Crime rates have been low in Long Beach, California. Violence in those areas is lower than schools where there is no uniform/ dress code enforced. It isn’t to say that one is better than the other, but it is interesting to look into the research and ponder what may be best for schools.