Diving into the Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Diving into the Season

Kate Hackett, Staff Reporter

This past Thursday evening the Lincoln-Way East girls’ swim team took on Lincoln-Way Central in their first meet of the 2019 season. It was supposed to be a very good meet. Last year at sectionals, Central beat East by 1 point. It all happened in the very last event of the meet. East wanted to beat Central this year, and this was the chance. Abbey Piech and Cali Burns said, “We were very mad about them winning at sectionals, and we are excited to beat them this time.” We started the meet off doing well, and we were on a roll. Central kept winning event after event. Meanwhile at East, the diving meet was going on, and Kate Mitchell was on her way to break the 11-dive record. Back at Central, they kept on winning, and now it was time for the relays. These were the events that Central beat East at in sectionals. Central started strong, and they were in the lead for the 400 free relay. East was ahead the first 100, and then Central started to catch up. East and Central were tied by the end of the third. Abbey was the last to swim, and everyone was going crazy because it was the last event of the meet and everyone was excited to see what would happen. It was the last 25 yards and Central and East were still tied. They stayed tied the whole race, and East got touched out in the end of the race. No one had any idea about what the score was. East ended up winning the meet by a lot, and that was not the end. Back at East, sophomore diver, Kate Mitchell, broke the 11-dive record at her first high school dive meet ever. It was a great night for the Lincoln-Way East girls’ swim team.