The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

The Future is Mine

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future is Mine

Tayo Omoniyi, Staff Reporter

This time of year, after all of the hard work we’ve put in over the past four years, we finally get to see our hard work pay off. It’s prom season, we’re almost done…and college decisions are about to come in. That also means we get to finally discover if we made it into our dream school, unless you’re one of the students who applied Early Decision.

To understand my experience with school, I should probably give you some background information. My parents are immigrants from Nigeria and started a new life in America just to make sure I could get all the opportunities they didn’t have. Growing up, education was everything. My parents instilled in me the idea that hard work and education would lead to success. They did everything in their power to support us in school. After the recession, my mom lost her job as a mortgage loan specialist. So, like any Omoniyi does, she found a second act. After that, she pursued a career in nursing and back to school to earn her Associate’s and her Bachelor’s. As my mom studied, my dad often stayed home with us. I reflect on it now that I am going through the college admissions process, my dad has been my greatest advocate. From paying application fees to taking me to interviews and even reading over my application essays, he’s been there for me every step of the way. I often doubted myself about whether or not I really deserved to even be considered to some of the schools I applied to. However, my family was always there to remind me that I had done my best and if the college couldn’t see my potential, they weren’t worth my time.

In the news recently, there has been a scandal about the college admissions process being rigged towards the elite. Despite how disgusted I am with the news, I wasn’t surprised. We’ve all heard the stories about the rich kids getting in to selective schools with ease. Whether they’re a legacy applicant or had a parent who bought the university a brand new library, we’ve known about it. The admissions process being corrupted by money didn’t shock me because I already knew money was a factor. However, what really repulsed me was knowing that a parent would actually pay someone else to take the SAT for their kid, or photoshop their child’s face onto the body of a student athlete. With millions at your disposal, a parent could just as easily give their student a chance to go to the best private schools, tutoring, prep courses for the SAT and ACT, and even a private trainer to help them with sports. Better yet, don’t even send the kid to college, let the kid start a business with $500,000. I know kids who would kill to get into those schools, who are way more talented and deserving of the admissions spots. I am disappointed not just in the families, but in the coaches, teachers and administrators involved in the scheme.

This March, I am waiting for several of my dream schools to accept my offer. Accepted or not, I know that I am talented and just as exceptional as anyone else. The results of my admissions status have no bearing on me or my potential. I am blessed to have the tremendous support from my family and friends throughout this nerve-wracking process. I wish luck to everyone in their future endeavors after they graduate: college, trade school, or otherwise.