The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

Lincoln-Way East 2018 Season Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lincoln-Way East 2018 Season Review

Madison Glatz, Staff Reporter

Records: broken. Season: undefeated. With each game, each win, the football team made its way into Lincoln-Way East history. Senior Gustave Christensen reflected, “I think our season was defined by all the records that we broke. We held HF to the fewest points they have ever scored, we shutout The Brook, we beat Glenbard West, which no East team has ever done. We had the most shutouts in East history and we’ve scored more points than any team in East history. We were motivated because we were always striving to be better than any other team before.” The results yielded on the field were the culmination of a year’s work. Sophomore Ben Kingsbury related, “Our success came from the offseason lifting and conditioning and carried into the season. Especially in the summer, every workout, practice, and repetition strengthened us not only as individuals, but as a team. Whenever our defense scrimmaged our offense we all went so hard to make each other tougher so that when game day came, we were confident that we outworked any opponent we came across.” Senior Dane Eggert agreed, “We are the hardest workers in the school. Other people tweet about it but we just do it and see the results on Fridays.” The drive embodied by this year’s team was evident not only amongst the players but to the coaches as well. Assistant Head Coach Pallisard recalled, “This group of young men really wanted to be the best team they could possibly be. They set aside any personal goals for the goals of the team.” While the team did not achieve their intended final goal of a back-to-back state win, the players knew they had left everything on the field. Junior Dominic Dzioban considered, “The thing I am most proud of is, although we came up short, we all know that we did everything we possibly could have in order to be prepared for the season and everyone worked extremely hard.I would love to win state but I’m proud of what we did as a team and how hard we worked, we truly gave it our all.” With similar sentiments, Senior Daniel Scianna said, “We did not finish in Champaign, however, [between the community and school spirit that supported us] I would not change this season for the world.”