The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

The Grammy’s, 2017

Carter Sheehan, Staff Reporter

As the month comes to an end, many people like to think about what happened during the course of that month, and February is no exception. Even though this month is always shorter than the others, it was not void of exciting events. One of the biggest events was on the television: The 59th Annual Grammy’s, hosted by James Corden. It aired on Sunday, February 12th, and it was a large happening. In case you did not catch any of the news about it, here are the highlights.
The biggest categories and music genres were broadcasted on the television, specifically pop, rap, rock, and country. Adele snatched up the Best Pop (Solo) Performance with her hit song “Hello” and Best Pop Album with “25.” The Grammy’s are no stranger to Adele, since she has won 18 to date. Adele did not get the Best Pop (Duo/Group) Performance, which was awarded to Twenty One Pilots for their song “Stressed Out.” This band has been around since the first few years of the decade, but they gained mainstream acclaim through their “Blurryface” album, and they have now secured their place in music history with this award.
Twenty One Pilots was not the only breakout artist to win big. Chance The Rapper, a Chicago native, shocked everyone when he won Best Rap Album with his “Stream-Only” album (or, only available through streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music) “Coloring Book.” What was so surprising about this was that he beat out industry giants like Kanye West and Drake (Drake redeemed himself, though, by winning Best Rap Song with “Hotline Bling”). Chance also won the revered award of Best New Artist and amazed with his gospel influenced performance of “How Great.”
Rock also had some big names to talk about. David Bowie, even in his death, won Best Rock Performance and Best Rock Song with the song “Blackstar.” It’s the title song of the album released a few days before his death on January 10, 2016. Another oldie was respected with an award as Megadeath won Best Metal Performance with their new song “Dystopia.” Country music was prevalent in these awards as well, with Kelsea Ballerini doing a performance with Lukas Graham and a plethora of awards. A breakout hit, Maren Morris, won Best Country (Solo) Performance with her song “My Church” and Pentatonix, a famous acapella group, won Best Country (Duo/Group) Performance with their song “Jolene,” which featured the classic Dolly Parton.
Along with these great awards, one must not forget about the ones not featured on television. Best producer was given to Greg Kurstin, who produced Adele’s award winning “25” album, Best Reggae Album was given to Ziggy’s Marely’s self-titled album, and Best Jazz Vocal Album was awarded to Gregory Porter’s “Take Me To The Alley.”
But, none of these awards were the biggest part of the night. The Best Record and Best Song of the Year were given to Adele’s “Hello”, and the coveted Album of the Year was given, again, to Adele for “25.” She beat out powerhouses like Justin Bieber, Drake, and Beyoncé (who Adele said deserved the award).
These are all amazing awards, but it is not the awards that make the night memorable. It is the striking performances, the tear-jerking memorials, and the jokes made throughout the evening. The 2017 Grammy’s did not lack these, and it was a night to remember for all musical artists, including aspiring artists. Maybe you or someone you know might win one in the future. Until then, we have other televised awards to look forward to, like the Oscars.