The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

Black Friday

Madison Glatz, Staff Reporter

Black Friday shopping has risen to the top of our holiday agendas as people seek to fulfill their Christmas lists on this bargain hunting tradition. Black Friday originally took place on the day after Thanksgiving. But in recent years, Black Friday sales have been extended to Thanksgiving. Stores open as early as 6pm Thursday night. Many family members rushed out of the initial holiday, ready to accomplish some serious shopping. Sophomore Anna Breitbarth combined the best of both holidays by spending time with family while hitting up stores for deals. “With my brother home from college for Thanksgiving, we went to go get some dorm necessities.” Sophomore Madeline Herbert shared her experience. “I woke up at 4am to shop! I needed to get the new Beats wireless headphones! It was totally worth it.” Senior Cyla Dunican went into Orland and accomplished lots of her own shopping. “I was overwhelmed by Victoria’s Secret’s 30% off since everything is usually so expensive. I had to wait in super long lines as other customers fought over who got which product first. I go every year but this year was by far the worst.” Black Friday, although overpowering the norms for traditional Thanksgivings everywhere, has become a new tradition to be enjoyed by all ages.