The student news site of Lincoln-Way East High School

The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

48th Annual Frankfort Fall Fest

Anna Vander Kooi, Staff Reporter

Since 1968, the town of Frankfort has held an annual week long event in September known by many as the Frankfort Fall Festival. This festival has been recognized as one of the top 8 in the country (by Sunshine Artist) and is sure to draw crowds. The first two days of Fall Fest consist of a carnival and other attractions including Frankfort Lions Club’s “Wurst Festival” and entertainment tents. These days bring many kids into the downtown Frankfort area because of all of the rides, games, and food that the carnival features. It is important to note that the festival ends at 11:00 pm on these days.

The following three days consist of the craft booths, where hundreds of artists and craft makers come out to sell their products to those who walk through. One can find everything from lotions to Christmas decorations when walking through Downtown, as well as the always popular stand which sells fresh popcorn from Kernel Sweetooth. The festival goes all day during these days, and also features music and food from vendors like Parmesan’s and Culver’s. Students of Lincoln Way schools are able to volunteer their time to help with concessions, helping them take an active role in the community and in the promotion of the event.

On the Breidert Green a variety of live music can be enjoyed throughout the festival.  After enjoying time at the green one has the options of stopping at Smokey Barque, Fat Rosie’s, White Street Café, Durbins, or Francesca’s Fortunato (all within walking distance) to grab a bite to eat, and can head over to Kernel Sweetooth for dessert. The Frankfort Fall Festival also boosts a Sunday parade before the final day on Monday.  Overall, Frankfort Fall Festival showcases how successful a community can be when they work together.

The Schedule for Frankfort Fall Festival is as follows:

Thursday, September 1st: Carnival and “Wurst Festival” 5:00 pm-11:00 pm

Friday, September 2nd: Carnival and entertainment tents 5:00 pm-11:00 pm

Saturday, September 3rd through Monday, September 5th: food and craft tents, live music

Sources:

http://www.villageoffrankfort.com/calendar

http://festivalnet.com/10132/Frankfort-Illinois/Art-and-Craft-Shows/Frankfort-Fall-Festival