The Winged Messenger

• October 6Go East! Go Griffins! Go Blue!

NHS Faculty Award

Abby+Olivieri%2C+Krupa+Patel%2C+and+Keara+Flaherty+pose+with+Mr.+Lodes.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS Faculty Award

Abby Olivieri, Krupa Patel, and Keara Flaherty pose with Mr. Lodes.

Nicole McCabe

Nicole McCabe

Nicole McCabe

Nicole McCabe, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday, September 22nd, the new members of the National Honor Society were inducted. Parents filed into the Lincoln-Way auditorium to celebrate their child’s accomplishments. Aside from the students’ awards, Mr. Ryan Lodes received the NHS Faculty Award. When asked about how he felt after receiving the honor, Lodes replied, “I am honored to receive this award and I am proud of my accomplishments.”

Each year the officers of the National Honor Society vote on a teacher who goes above and beyond for his/her students. The members then vote for the nominated faculty. Abby Olivieri, president of the National Honor Society adds “This award recognizes the teacher who has put in a lot of work inside and outside of class, and we felt that was Mr. Lodes.”

Mr. Lodes dedicates much of his time to his students’ learning abilities. He continually seeks to aid his students in any way he can. Along with doing an exceptional job in the classroom, Lodes is a dedicated junior varsity girls’ swim coach in the fall and a varsity girls’ water polo coach in the spring. With morning and afternoon practices for both sports and conditioning in both the summer and winter, Lodes spends upward of 60 hours per week at Lincoln-Way East trying to make it a better community for students and athletes. Lincoln-Way East showed its gratitude with the presentation of the award.

Lodes is known to be a role model for many of his students and athletes as well as an important colleague amongst his fellow teachers. He always tries to keep a positive attitude for the sake of his students. His speech that accompanied the acceptance of the award focused on how “we must celebrate the successes we have over the things we consider failures in our lives.”