Advice to Incoming College Freshmen

Ramona Meszaros, Staff Reporter

As the first semester comes to a close, seniors are wrapping up college applications and getting ready to make their decisions for the fall of 2023. The application process can be complicated and even overwhelming for many students, because of the many unknown factors that face them for the following school year. As a senior myself, I have wondered what I need to know going into this next exciting chapter of my life. After talking with a friend who recently began her college journey, I learned a few different pieces of advice that I would like to share with any anxious seniors. The following is an interview with college student Sandra E. 

Q: What is something you wish you had done differently when applying to college? 

A: “I rejected myself from colleges before I gave the college the change to reject me because I was too afraid that I wouldn’t get in, but if I really put the effort in, I might of.” 

Q: Was adjusting to roommates difficult? 

A: “No, we all for the most part don’t have problems with each other. People just have to remember that you don’t have to be best friends with your roommates. If you have a problem with them, tell them. The more you wait, the bigger the problem gets.” 

Q: How do you balance your social and academic life? 

A: “You have to set specific times aside for studying, and time with friends. Something that helps me is right after classes, I go right to the library and do all my homework before going to my room or seeing friends.”  

My key takeaways after talking with Sandra were that it is important to not doubt yourself going into college and during applications. There is so much that you have no control over, so the best solution is to just put yourself out there. Specifically, when it comes to choosing which schools to apply to, don’t limit yourself by automatically assuming that you won’t get into a school. You may end up getting surprised by the results!