LWE Girls’ Track Meet 2.11.22

LWE Girls Track Meet 2.11.22

Ramona Meszaros, Staff Reporter

The Lincoln-Way East girls’ track team came out on top at the opening meet of their indoor season this past Friday. The meet took place at Homewood-Flossmoor high school (HF), and was a quad-meet between HF, LWE, Kenwood, and Whitney Young. The Lincoln-Way East Girls track team is currently ranked #1 in the state, with HF at position #2, and Whitney Young in #3, making the meet last Friday a big competition for all athletes involved. The meet was a great start to the season, with numerous personal bests, and East finishing in 1st place with 166 points (HF – 83.3, Whitney-Young – 44.2, Kenwood – 24.6).

Additionally, the team has many athletes that are ranked top 10 for their event in the state of Illinois in numerous events, making the LWE team very hard to beat. Many of the new records were set at the HF Quad meet and are only starting marks for the 2022 season.
• Mariam Azeez (Senior) broke her personal best in the long jump, reaching 5.93 m (19.455 ft.), set a new indoor season school record, ranking her 1st in the state, and 3rd in the country. Azeez is also ranked 1st in the state for her 60m dash time, and 6th for her 400m.
• In the long jump, Jailee Clemmons (Senior) is in 4th with a distance of 5.48m and is also tied for 4th in the triple jump at 10.86m.
• In shot put, Jamie Sierocki (Senior) holds 4th with 10.91m
• In shot put, Sandra Egbutu (Senior) holds 8th with 10.32m
• In the 800m, Kate Guderjan holds 10th with a time of 2:31.10
• In the 60m hurdles, Kendall Crossley (Junior) is ranked 5th in the state with a time of 10.14
• In the pole vault, Jaiden Knoop (Sophomore) is ranked 6th with a height of 3.27m
• In the 1600m, Kara Waishwell (Freshman) is at 10th with a time of 5:27.17
• The 4x800m relay which ran at the HF Girls’ Quad is ranked 2nd in the state with a time of 10:14.28
The lineup of state-ranking athletes on the Lincoln-Way East girls’ track team is expected to grow as the season continues, as the team fights to defend their state title.
Overall, the team is composed of promising athletes, both experienced upperclassmen, and talented newcomers, promising an exciting season ahead for the Griffins. When asked about what makes her team so strong, Sierocki stated, “The LWE girls’ track team is such a hardworking team, that’s what helped us go undefeated and become state champs last season. Our team is so supportive of each other, and it makes going to the meets fun.” The next meet is scheduled to take place on February 16th at Lockport High school, in a dual meet against the Porters. Be sure to stay updated on the Griffins throughout the season as they compete for a back-to-back state title!
Visit – https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Division/Top.aspx?DivID=130718&gender=f for updated rankings throughout the season.