Football During Covid

Football During Covid

Hailee Marek , Staff Reporter

The Lincoln-Way East Varsity football team is looking better than ever even with everything that went on the past year. After coming off a State Championship last year and an undefeated season, the boys are going to push to keep that undefeated season because there are no state tournaments this year. The team has been grinding to keep in shape since the summer. They may have not been able to do it all together due to covid capacity restrictions, but each boy knew what they had to do to keep in shape for the season. The first two games aren’t going to be super easy for the Griffins. The opposing teams Bolingbrook and HF are coming off a strong season last year also. Homewood-Flossmoor ended their season 10-2 losing to LWE last year in the playoffs 26-7. Bolingbrook ended their season last year 8-4 losing to Warren Township (the state runner-up) last year in the playoffs. Junior Will Ravetto is very excited for the season and has said, “Getting the chance to play this year is a gift, and I’m glad the seniors get the opportunity to play. We have been working hard this offseason and they deserve it. It was a little disappointing to not be able to defend our state championship but I’m excited to get some experience as a junior and get prepared for next season!” Luckily for the seniors, IHSA changed their rules from a 50-person capacity to 20% capacity for spectators. The fun of sitting in the student section and cheering on the Griffins may not be possible this year, but it is better to keep everyone safe and not run into any problems that cause the season to get canceled or postponed.