Passing the Torch

Passing the Torch

Kemi Omoniyi, Staff Reporter

2020 is an election year all the way around. With the presidential election just around the corner, we the students at Lincoln-Way East just had our own election. Every year around this time in fall as the school year is just starting to get underway all the students at LWE get the chance to vote for their class officers. Positions available were Class President, Class Vice President, Class Treasurer, and Secretary. Each plays a very important role in the decisions of their graduating class. To gain more insight into it I interviewed former Junior Class President, Senior Nina Gentles. I asked Nina the following questions: What motivated you to run for class president? What did you do as class president, and what are your goals last year as class president? Talking to Nina helped solve a lot of my questions, and she gave a very thoughtful response, “I wanted to try something different in my junior year, so I took the opportunity presented. The decision was sort of spontaneous, but I felt as if I was qualified enough and ready to take on a challenge. In addition, I was also very interested in behind the scenes of planning and coordinating events at school.” When asked about her goals last year Nina said,” My goal last year for the position was to learn and connect with the student body, as well as the rest of the officers. In retrospect, I achieved those goals, yet it’s unfortunate we weren’t able to see the final product of our planning taking place.” While it was amazing to have people like Nina who represented the class of 2021 last year our election this year has resulted in a lot of new representatives, and some familiar faces. I was lucky enough to be able to interview one of them Senior Jennah Halawa, who won Treasure this year, and asked her the same questions. As Treasure Jennah oversees the financial aspect of the events and activities. Jennah is very ambitious this year she said,” My goals this year are to make it a fun year while following CDC guidelines, but also to help the seniors have some fun this year! I plan on doing this by reaching out to fellow classmates and hearing their input and opinions on activities we could do while following the guidelines. I will collaborate with the other class officers to try to make it a great, but memorable year!”